Some Facts:
- Congenital Heart Defects (CHD) is the #1 birth defect, and is the leading cause of birth-defect related deaths worldwide. (While it is the most common birth defect, it is the least publicized.)
- Over 40,000 babies are born with heart defects in the US every year.
- Some babies may be diagnosed before or at birth, while some not until days, weeks, months, or even years later. Sadly, too many are not diagnosed until after death.
- There are 35 recognized heart defects. Some may not require treatment other than periodic visits to a Pediatric Cardiologist, others can be treated with medications or repaired with surgery and/or procedures, while other complex heart defects may require several surgeries and are never really "cured".
- Nearly twice as many children die from CHD than from all forms of childhood cancer combined.
- Only 30% of children who need a heart transplant receive one in time, and the 10 year heart transplant survival rate is 60%.
- There are over 1 million children and adults alive today with CHD
- Funding is needed to prevent or cure CHD
(I never got around to putting music to it so one of these days I'll get it done).
4 comments:
Hey I like this so I am stealing it for my blog, How is Ayden? He is the best!
Wow! That brought me to tears! I had no idea the percentages and just how series and common heart problems can be. Thanks for posting that! I hope Ayden is doing great! I know you guys have been through a lot! Tell Sage Hi and that I miss being her teacher!
Jill! This is so cute. You did a great job. I would like a copy of it. Have you figured out what song you're going to use?
Wonderful video! Definitely something your kids will treasure as they get older.
Post a Comment