Monday, December 6, 2010

Burned

11-19-10: initial blisters
learning to manuever
11-19-10: First night changing the wrappings after the blisters were popped
11-20-10: The following morning the blisters were back
11-22-10: The day after the blisters were cut away
11-25-10
12-1-10

Back on the 19th of November, Kambrie touched the glass on our gas fireplace and burnt her little hand. I felt terrible, she was coloring with Addison and I on the floor and the next thing I knew she was kneeling at the fireplace with her hand on the glass. With in minutes blisters appeared. I've never seen blisters so big. They where causing so much pressure and added pain that the Dr. decided to pop them, something he usually doesn't do. The first blister he popped squirted across the room. As he started to bandage it and explain what I was going to need to do to take care of it over the next few days until I went to the burn unit did I realize how serious burns really are. We went to the burn unit at the U of U the following Monday for a follow up, it was then that I realized this was just the beginning of many trips to the burn unit. I never imagined the healing process would take so long for a second degree burn. It involves lots of therapy and stretching since it is over a joint and they don't want her to lose any movement or flexibility. I was so grateful it was just her hand. I can't imagine going through this process if you are burnt all over your body.

2 comments:

Janelle Ehat said...

YIKES!!! Poor Kambrie!!

Kevin + Marcy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kambrie's burn. I hope it heals super quick! And I thought about you guys a lot last Friday since we were celebrating with our little man as well. They were born on a special day. I'm glad you guys got some good celebrating in!